Here is a round-up of the Education Institutions in Birmingham, UK, offering vocational music education courses:
Birmingham City University
“As the driving force behind the creative provision at Birmingham City University, the Faculty of Performance, Media and English comprises four distinctive centres of creative excellence based across the city: Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham School of Acting, the School of English and Birmingham School of Media”
Undergraduate courses include:
Post-graduate courses include:
Birmingham Ormiston Academy
“Birmingham Ormiston Academy is an independent state-funded 14-19 Academy specialising in Creative, Digital and Performing Arts.
The Academy is now open in a brand new landmark building, geographically placed in an area at the hub of the digital and creative industries. It has superb facilities for academic, vocational and extra-curricular activities and will be at the forefront of the development of creative and digital arts.
Outstanding teaching coupled with constant support and guidance will underpin your personalised learning experiences. The curriculum is designed to develop the specific identified talents, gifts and potential of each student.
Performance, performing, production, creativity and excellence will be at the centre of your experiences. You will be taught by a combination of excellent teachers and skilled industry professionals. Admission to the academy will be via aptitude workshops within the key specialisms.”
South & City College Birmingham
“South and City College Birmingham is Birmingham’s newest and biggest college. Formed on 1 August 2012 through the merge of South Birmingham College and City College Birmingham, we provide vocational education to around 25,000 students.
With outstanding facilities, excellent pass rates and the only college in Birmingham to be awarded with Beacon status – recognition of excellence and innovation, South and City College Birmingham offer 100’s of courses from Level 1 to higher education for people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
Our music and performing arts courses in Birmingham are perfect if you want a career on, or behind the stage. Learning in our outstanding facilities and meeting industry experts will make you stand out from the crowd. We have a range of performing arts courses, music technology courses and music production courses in Birmingham from level 1 right up to higher education. We also have short and part time music courses and performing arts courses.”
Access To Music, Birmingham
“Learning with Access to Music is an exciting and unique experience which is refreshingly different to being in a big school or college. We are 100% dedicated to music and we work with people who are equally passionate about music.
Access to Music Birmingham runs from a commercial rehearsal and studio business which means that your place of learning is at the heart of the regional music scene.
Our staff are all experienced musicians and they get to know who you are and what you want to be. We have a proven track record of students going on to university and into the industry (e.g. EZ Rollers and Lady Leshuur).
Access to Music Birmingham benefits from being part of the UK’s leading popular music college which has pioneered popular music education in this country for 20 years. This means your education and training is quality-assured by our national team. Access to Music designs is own music qualifications in partnership with Rockschool so our courses are the most up-to-date and relevant for 16-18s looking to get into the music industry.
Finally, Birmingham is a great place to study music with a really vibrant music culture and we offer plenty of opportunities to get out and perform or work at venues and festivals. You’ll also benefit from the amazing industry opportunities provided by Atom Live.”
- Mission statement: To be the education and training provider of first choice
- Bournville College was established in 1913 (then known as Bournville Day Continuation School) by George Cadbury.
- The function of the school was ‘to provide young people with a sound general education which will fit them to meet the demands of life and work in the best possible way’.
- In 1973, Bournville College relocated to a new campus on Bristol Road South in Birmingham, which it occupied till 2011.
- In September 2011, Bournville College relocated to a new £66 million purpose built campus in Longbridge, kick-starting wider regeneration of the area after the collapse of MG-Rover in 2005. Click here to find out more about our new campus.
- The new campus features state-of-the-art facilities which include Mac suites, motor vehicle maintenance workshops, music studios, training kitchens, over 1000 computers, Wi-Fi internet access, 3D cinema room, online learning material, conference centre for 200 delegates and much more.
- The new campus also offers commercial facilities available to everyone, including: Urban Elegance hair salon, Urban Serenity beauty salon, Urban Flavours restaurant and Urban Fitness.
- Bournville College offers courses for school leavers, adults, employers and international students.
- Qualifications include A Levels, BTECs, NVQs, Apprenticeships, Higher Education and bespoke training for businesses.
- Bournville College is committed to ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of all students and to providing a positive environment where everyone can learn and work together.
Academy of Music & Sound, Birmingham
“The Academy of Music & Sound’s oldest centre opened in Birmingham in 2001 above the then music retail giant Sound Control; later taking on the whole building when Sound Control and its successor Reverb ceased trading.
The Academy of Music & Sound originally offered just Music Technology courses and lessons, only moving into instrument specific courses in 2004. Since then the offer has grown significantly and Birmingham now offers private lessons, short courses, BTEC programmes, Foundation Degrees and an Honours Degree programme.
Having outgrown the old premises the Academy of Music & Sound moved into modern premises just up the road in the summer of 2012 – a truly 21st century music centre. The new centre offers students their own venue, music shop, recording studios, Mac Suite, drum studio, rehearsal rooms, various teaching rooms, keyboard facilities and a student lounge.”